Re: [NTLK] Connecting an MP 2100 to PowerMac 6100 via ethernet LAN ???

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 12:35:24 PST

MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> Hello knowledgable Newtonians:
> I recently received an RJ 45-to-ethernet adapter from a fellow Newtonian.
> However, I am having trouble with the interconnection procedure. I am using a
> Farallon ethernet PCMCIA card with an MP 2100. I went into the PowerMac's
> control panel and enabled AppleTalk. When I try to dock, the attempted connection
> times out. By the way, I do already have Newton Connection Utilities
> installed on the PowerMac, and I am running OS 7.6.1 on this archaic museum piece.

Are you just plugging the cable from the Farallon card into the AAUI adapter
(the thing that gives your 6100 the right port)? That won't work. You'll
need to use a hub or a crossover adapter.

The reason is, with the one cable plugged directly into the other, the
transmit pin of one cable is connected to the transmit pin of the other cable,
instead of the receive cable. A hub knows how to connect the signals. A
crossover cable or adapter will swap the transmit and receive lines, much like
an old serial null modem.

> Two more Mac questions:
> 1) I burned some rock music onto a CD on my desktop PC, but my PowerMac
> failed to even recognize the CD! Is there a way to make this prehistoric critter
> recognize and play .MP3 files?

Thomas Tempelmann (of Newton DIL Tester fame) actually wrote and maintains a
Classic OS extension to support ISO9660 and Joilet format CD-ROMs:

http://www.tempel.org/joliet/index.html