Re: [NTLK] [Q] How to move MS Outlook-Calendar and Addresses from Win NT to Newton via OS X (file under "handicap-race")?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 11:56:36 PST

On Nov 16, 2004, at 10:27 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've searched the archive on this topic, but couldn't find a solution
> for this specific setup I have, so pls. bear with me.
>

> Situation: I have appointments and contacts on a Windows NT machine at
> me day job. The export functionality of Outlook isn't fully installed.
> I want
> to have the calendar and address data also on my Newton.
>

> 1. All I can do for my Outlook calendar is
>
> 1.1 File/Import and Export
> 1.2 Export to file
> 1.3 Create a file of type: Personal Folder File (.pst)
> (-- other export-to-file translators listed, but not installed)
> 1.4 Then I can select the Calendar and save it as exported .pst-file.-
Great! Typical MS BS. You can only export onto a non useful Microsoft
proprietary file format...

> 2. Outlook's Personal Adress Book is a .pab-file in my home directory
> which I can copy easily.

Bah!
> 3. Transfer to OS X: We're not allowed to attach any personal hardware
> to company machines or transfer data via BT, nor are we allowed to
> install any non-company software. *BUT* I am allowed to mail addresses
> and personal calendar dates home to my PowerBook (as password protected
> encrypted archive), where I don't have Outlook installed.
Hmmm, There is a cool PC program called outlook2mac that handles this,
but I guess if you aren't allowed to install SW on your PC this won't
help. Bummer.

http://www.littlemachines.com/

This is worth it if you can use it in my experience.

> 4. Process/synch data: Addressbook only imports vCards and "LDIF",
> whatever that is.
That's called an industry standard. As per
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2849.html
> iCal only imports iCal, vCards and Entourage.
Also appropriate standards(Entourage is MS's outlook for OSX kind of).
If you can get Entourage, you might be able to use that. This is
Microsofts plan exactly, to prevent you from exporting your data
easily in a standard format, so that you can migrate away from MS
products. Unfortunately they also sometimes forget to make there own
products import there dumb formats properly.
> [Q] So, once I have the .pst- and .pab-files on Mac OS X, what next?
> How can I rip the data out of those containers and get them
> into iCal and Addressbook?

This looks like it will work for the Address book (although it uses
.pst files?) Might require a different export path...
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031125202916191

Don't know about the calendar, although Mozilla has been useful
several times in getting around MS's file format nonsense.

> 5. From there, the path to Newton will be export to group-vCards,
> Bluetooth, Blunt and IC/VC. (-- I wish I could simply newtSynch all
> that stuff via
> Bluetooth... Pls. pls pls. Messrs. Nowhereman and Eckart! And Mr. Santa
> Claus! ;=} )

Hopefully there is ongoing work on several projects related to this
(escale and Nsync,) Although the BT thing is still sketchy until you
get your TCP/IP going?
> P.S.: Bonus questions --
>
> [Q] How can I select all Dates and To-Dos on my Newton w/o having to
> manually tap every single one of them?
There is an add on that allows this, but I don't know the name.

> My PowerBook shows 2KB as the transfer bandwidth for my Bluetooth
> connection (Sphinx Pico PC Card on Newton, 3Com PC Card on PowerBook).
> The devices stand next to each other, or with 5 m distance, the X-Jack
> antenna of the 3Com extended or not - always a stable and steady
> 2KB/sec.
> [Q] What could be limiting the bandwidth so drastically? Any
> settings on PowerBook or Newton I might want to look at?
Told you so.
> [Q] What data rates do other Newton Bluetooth users experience, and
> between which BT-devices?
About the same here, nowhere near the speed of WIFI.

Marty