[NTLK] Risky Business

From: John M Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 01:41:57 PST

> I personally use Paypal, which is not only safer than
> Western Union but also recommended over Western Union
> by EBAY.

I personally use PayPal as well. Never used Western Union... may never. As a
side note, it's important to point this out... of course eBay is going to
recommend PayPal over Western Union. PayPal is an eBay company.

> If you're an EBAY seller worried about international
> buyers, perhaps the setting of a minimum feedback
> rating for international bidders would put you at ease.

Unfortunately, feedback ratings aren't even always enough of an indication.
Many scams are led by people who have hijacked someone's account with a good
rating. Recently, I was purchasing a Samsung i700 cell phone bundle. While
in the process of bidding, I was offered a 'second chance' bid offer from
someone claiming to be the auctioneer. Much of their email looked legit, but
it raised suspicions - the contact id and email addresses listed from this
person did not match up with those of the auctioneer. I contacted the
auctioneer, and confirmed my suspicions that it was a scam. I didn't go with
the scammer, did win the bid, and love my i700. You have to careful & wise
no matter what. And even then, you could still get burned.

> But I, like many international buyers in this forum, are
> overjoyed when that rare seller is willing to go the extra
> mile for us. For it encourages us to bring our money back
> to such sellers in the future.

I've done that. And at this moment, look somewhat questionable to at least a
couple people because their item(s) have still not arrived, and should have
by now. From this end, all I can do is ask for their patience.

John M Powell
Iwillbefree.com
Travel-CS.com - PowerTrans - Language Translation on the Newton