Re: [NTLK] other newton sellers

From: Grant Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sun Nov 14 2004 - 13:15:50 PST

In a previous message, Robert Benschop typed vigorously:

>BTW, exempt of duties doesn't mean free. We still have to pay sales tax
>over the total of the value AND the shipping.

This is definitely the case when receiving items shipped into Canada. We
get tagged with a 7% Goods & Services Tax (GST) on the value of the
contents of the package. Then there is a handling and brokerage fee with
certain courier services (Purolator and UPS are the worst) and then we
pay GST on the handling and brokerage fee on top of everything.

I usually insist that any packages shipped to me are clearly itemized and
labeled used or obsolete computer goods, with a minimal package value. I
will dispense with full value insurance if it means that I will save on
the hit when the package crosses the border. That being said, I have
never had any eBay, private or commercial package be delivery in a such a
state that I would have had to claim it using the insurance.

Maybe I've just been fortunate up until now.

g.

Grant Hutchinson > Interface Considerations & Toys

Weblog > www.splorp.com
Newton > www.newted.org
Design > www.veer.com