Re: [NTLK] Whats wrong with the "Knowledge-Navigator"?..

From: Tom Stock (tstock_at_tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 20:32:59 PST

> James,
> Many sellers in the US are gun shy because of rampant internet credit
> card fraud. The system that checks numbers and seller's addresses does
> not work outside of the US (even in Canada) so sellers are justified in

Well, there's even more to it. There are a ton of fake money order
scams from outside the country, wire transfers and western union
payments. How is one supposed to pursue a scammer in another country?
Its just too much risk *unless I am familiar with the person on a
mailing list, newsgroup, etc*. Canada is my limit for ebay selling. I
had a situation where I sold some things from when I was in Canada, and
they were "lost" going through customs. I ended up having to refund the
money plus I lost the item. Insurance does not cover "lost in customs"
incidents.

Another time I bought some software and the same thing happened. The
seller refunded my $ and took the loss. I will usually still ship to
Canada, but I keep my fingers crossed.

-tom