Re: [NTLK] Improving the pen interface...

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 16:13:38 PST

This is one of the most stupid, idiotic pen entry
systems I have ever seen. Not only do you have to
relearn a new keyboard layout (ok, I know it's not a
keyboard in the true sense of the word, but it's a
foreign layout that will require extensive learning)
but they will need to modify their writing to adapt to
the gestures needed to create a word.
I use a regular keyboard, and I use a pen/pencil at my
job...I find it more difficult to switch the thought
process from even a normal keyboard to a "Natural"
keyboard...I can't even imagine having to completly
rethink the layout of this archaic letter
positioning...
I watched the demo and even at the demo's fastest
scrawling, my handwriting is still faster and more
accruate...and this is key...more intuitive!
Everyone here on this list knows my take on forcing
the modification of the person to adapt to the
machine...it's wrong and takes technology in the wrong
direction...people shouldn't adapt to machines,
machines should adapt to people...and ANYTHING that
doesn't follow this simple constraint, is inherrantly
wrong!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jonathan Ramos <imagraphicstudios_at_earthlink.net>

http://news.com.com/Trying+to+make+the+pen+as+mighty+as+the+keyboard/2100-1044_3-5448380.html?tag=nefd.top

> http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/sharktext
>
> Later,
> Jonathan
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial