[NTLK] Alternate text editing?

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 12:34:55 PST

Okay - I've been taking notes for my classes using the outline
stationary in Notes (coupled with bignotes) - but as a CS student I
find that typing (I do use the keyboard with my mp2100) code out in
notes doesn't work too well (things like cmd-right arrow don't take you
to the end of the line etc.) I've taken to wrting lengthy bits of code
in works (yay for more keyboard navigation) - but I've found that
copying and pasting in this program is twitchy - highligting text with
the stylus, and then trying to double tap-drag to duplicate it doesn't
work nicely in works.

I'm used to typing code in VIM or VI most of the time - so my question
is whether anyone has ported vi or vim to newton? If not, does anything
else think this would be a worthwhile tool to have on the newton? I
realize that the newton keyboard doesn't have an escape key - so we'd
have to fudge something somewhere in order to make VI work, but
remapping the backwards tick mark (upper left key) shouldn't be that
much of a pain?

J Tyler Nichols