Re: [NTLK] DIY Printer Cable schematics for PC?

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 09:17:42 PDT

On Friday, May 28, 2004, at 09:00 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:56:50 -0700
>

> On May 27, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Sonny Hung wrote:
>> <snip>
>> 2) Can anyone suggest a laser printer (probably an Apple branded) that
>> I can
>> get at a resonable priced that works with a newton with an Apple
>> serial
>> cable and can be still used with a PC with a regular printer cable?
>
> I recommend the personal laserwriter NTR. This has both the 8 pin DIN
> mac style serial hookup (supports localtalk), and a centronics
> parallel interface with windows drivers on the windows disks...
>
> It's old and should be kind of cheap.

I concur, this printer is what I use for the Newton as well. I have a
printpack cable to print on my HP 5L, which works, but the output from
any printpack is rather bitmapped and pixellated, although with careful
font choice it can be just barely useable (IMO) for documents you wish
to share. Printing via postscript to the Apple NTR (look for a model
NTR not an NT) is much much nicer output. And the parallel port can be
handy.

You can find NTR's for about $10-15 if you are persistent, and much of
what goes wrong with them is cheap to repair (see
www.fixyourownprinter.com, a great resource). And a $10 Asante device
will publish them via ethertalk, too- so if you are careful with your
choice of home networking equipment, you can print wirelessly etc.

HTH.

Brian

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt, speaking on President Wilson's crackdown on
dissent after the U.S. entered W.W.I