[NTLK] emate arrived

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 18:13:50 PDT

The emate I ordered from Rochester Computer arrived; this unit is in
nice shape, bright backlight, couple of small marks on the screen but
not intrusive.

This is the first emate I've handled and it's bigger than I thought it
would be. The first thing that leapt to mind was that with the larger
size and the hinged display, this would be a great bookreader- I use my
2100 for reading on trips sometimes but holding it at the right angle
for viewing, etc. gets tiresome.

This unit has 474k heap free with Avi's Backdrop installed; 3972k
system RAM.

It came with the regular Dock and most utils locked away from users; I
had to do a hard reset to be able to install packages etc.

In the immediate future, I think I see it as living next to an armchair
or so as an instant-on means of sending short emails via 802.11b; I'm
not going to close it again until after I take it apart to look at the
hinge springs.

Brian

--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only