Re: [NTLK] [OT] deja vu, ipod gets its own division

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 11:38:05 PDT

On May 25, 2004, at 5:52 AM, Scot McSweeney-Roberts wrote:

> Does anybody know how much more expensive a G5 is versus the
> 'equivalent' Intel chip (which I believe would be the Itanium)?

Itanium is not a volume micro processor and therefore not comparable to
the PPC970...

Reportedly Apple is getting the G5 very cheaply. The rumor is that it
costs less then the G4 does. This would give them a lot of impetus to
move all there products (where possible) in that direction. Look for
imac to be the first.

The price competition on the X86 side is quite blood thirsty. I would
expect AMD and Intel products are less expensive in volume (although
not exactly comparable).

Apple has always provided an alternative architecture, and I look for
that to continue.

Think Different
marty