Re: [NTLK] [OT] deja vu, ipod gets its own division

From: Scot McSweeney-Roberts (newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 06:13:24 PDT

Jim Witte wrote:

> I don't know - maybe "generic PC" hardware has standardized enough in
>terms of protocols for hiding device IRQs and address ranges and such
>that MacOS on Intel wouldn't be a configuration and maintainance
>nightmare that Windows can be.

I don't think that generic pcs are that standardized yet, at least
judging from all the 'Linux doesn't work with all my hardware' stories I
keep reading.

Why 'analysts' and 'industry experts' ever think that it would be a good
idea for Apple either switch the Macs to x86 or drop the Mac hardware
line and only sell MacOS for generic x86 I'll never know - the only
reason I can come up with for them to say that is that they're either
not very good at analysis or that they aren't really experts in the
industry.

>"If the Cell is what they claim, Apple would be wise to build a
>workstation using the chip."

I think Cringley is over estimating the importance of the Cell chip,
especially in the near to mid term. It seems to be a radical departure
from more established chip designs and it's especially designed for
gameing.

Also, don't forget that IBM are committed to the POWER architecture -
especially if MS and Nintendo do choose it to power thier next
generation consoles. All the Cell chip means at this moment in time is
that IBM are likely to become the processor supplier to all the games
console builders, it has little if anything to do with Apple (unless
Apple decide to do an "iPod for the home" media centre, where it might
be usefull, but then again it might not).

>But as for Cringley's assertion of the shutting down of non-Apple
>retail channels, I think this is a good possibility, from what I've
>followed about Apple in that area. Apple has always had a somewhat
>rocky relationship with resellers - I'm thinking mostly about CompUSA
>here.

I think that all depends on where on the planet you are. There are no
Apple owned retail channels other than mail order where I live (though
an Apple Store is suppossed to be opening here in London sometime this
year), I think it's a bit premature for Apple to pull the plug on all
non Apple retail channels. Every PC World I've been in has a decent
display of Macs (though they never have much in the way of software for
them) - I think if Apple pulled the plug on them and other retailers
selling Macs than the Mac would soon be forgotten over here.

Scot