[NTLK] Error 999, ICS Text Editor for InOutBox found (was Re: [NTLK] SimpleMail 4.3: No Receive solved (d'oh) * Wet Donkey! * Open [Q]s)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 04:32:56 PDT

>On 21 May, 2004, at 8:15 pm, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>
>> Q: Anybody got a clue what Newton Error 999 means
>
>It's just a number I made up so I could use the SMTP error reporting
>mechanism when reporting a POP -ERR response. You're not meant to see
>it...

Sorry, Simon -- I'll forget this ASAP! ;=}
Maybe add that to the SM 4.3 FAQ, though. Might help others who do the same
stupid stunt I did...

>> Q: Should I delete the 4 KB Text Stationery?
>
>All Text Stationery packages should do the same thing - display plain
>text. SimpleMail's version does a little more because it's tied into
>the Text Decoder mechanism to render enriched text and HTML. You should
>be able to delete either version. I think. Or does SimpleMail rely on
>its own stationery? Can't remember. It was all done such a long time ago.
>
>Who knows where the 4KB version came from - Apple released a simple
>Text Stationery package, it might be that.

I froze it. Up to now, there's no fall out from that.

>The ICS Text Editor gives you faster scrolling through long text. Sorry
>about the broken link. It must be somewhere out there...

I found that I had it right here on my HD! Musta found it some time last
year on one of my Newton software scanvenger hunts... I've upped it to UNNA
together with the Newts.com-page from 1999, archived at
http://web.archive.org/web/19990930172901/http://www.newts.com/cgi-bin/news.cgi?icsnews&04158142749
.
(Hint at developers: Dan said "If an enterprising developer wants to assume
development of the ICS Text editor and is willing to keep it free,
<mailto:dan_at_newts.com>contact the author directly and we'll send you the
source code (you have to agree not to sell a product based on the code).")

So, now it should be available at UNNA soonish.
Simon, maybe jot down a reminder to fix the link in a few weeks time.

Thanks for all the kind words and help,

DJV.