Re: [NTLK] NTK Classic Vs. Windows

From: Thomas A Isenbarger (isen_at_plantpath.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 12:15:09 PDT

On 21 May 2004, at 15:05, John A wrote:

> On May 21, 2004, at 1:56 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>

>> Hmmm, can't help you with that as I never used Keyspan. Can't you use
>> AppleTalk over Ethernet like the majority of other users? Much faster
>> than
>> serial and the connection can be share by more than one OS and more
>> than one
>> application. At the price that PCMCIA cards go these days, I can't
>> understand why someone would go through the pain of setting up a
>> serial
>> connection, specially when the computer doesn't have a built-in serial
>> connection...
>>

> I can think of one reason: before you can use ethernet, you have to
> have a way to get the drivers onto the Newt in the first place. For
> most folks, that means a serial connection first.
>
> JR

I have found, using Escale on OS X, that my package installations with
the serial cable (Keyspan USB adaptor and J & K Interconnect to serial
cable) are much more stable and result in many fewer hangs, problematic
installations, etc., than with using Appletalk over wireless.

Just my experiences.

I suppose that once I have a home wireless network that using the
TCP/IP connection will be stable enough for my installations, but until
then I prefer Serial.

Tom I.