Re: [NTLK] NTK Classic Vs. Windows

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 11:31:04 PDT

On May 21, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Richard Chamberlain wrote:
>> That's because when NTK starts, it check for a serial port and won't
>> find
>> any. You will need the extension "TCPSerial" which basically lets you
>> use
>> Ethernet for serial communication. Of course, you won't need it as,
>> once
>> NTK
>> is opened, you can select "AppleTalk" to communicate with the
>> Newton...
>
> Thanks Laurent. It starts up now.
>
> Any ideas how I would now get my keyspan working? Under serial is
> listed
> the tcp driver.
>
> I presume I need to install the keyspan driver, but I can't boot under
> 9.
>
> Any suggestions?
Try running the OS9 keyspan installer from classic. It just adds some
extensions, as I recall. You'll need to restart classic afterwards (of
course).

You can actually drag and drop the classic system folder from your imac
to the PBG4, and then use the "classic" preference panel in OSX to
designate the newly dropped system folder as your classic system

You should then be able to start it up (from OSX).

Paul G. has clearly stated that there are some advantages to running
under OSX, particularly the fact that Hammer behaves a little better.
So this seems to be a workable way to go.

marty