[NTLK] Cross-platform problem with NP file [was: Re: [ANN] Free Culture]

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 16:21:55 PDT

Thanks again. Still no luck on the Mac, even with the .sit archived
version. I tried the original file today on Windows at work, and it
works fine. So it's some kind of cross-platform issue. The Mac
version is showing up with a generic document icon. I think the
problem is happening prior to the dowloading, since the .sit file shows
up properly and launches the appropriate application when
double-clicked.

Oh well, maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will figure this out.

In the meantime, on the Windows machine I made a landscape version
using New York 12 bold, which I find much easier to read on the Newton
screen. With other fonts, it isn't even so much the size as the
lightness (thinness) of the letter strokes, so bold really helps. My
favourite very-easy-to-read-yet-reasonably-compact font on the Newton
is 18-point Times, but that doesn't seem to be an option in NewtonPress.

I could send it to you for posting on your site, but should I wait
until somebody fixes the missing dashes in the source file?

Michael