[NTLK] AW: adequate battery life

From: Newton (newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 13:05:12 PDT

>what is the consensus for adequate battery life? what about with
>moderate wifi usage?
>
>also, how fast does a battery with <20% charge recharge to
>full (100%)?

Fortunately battery life is sort of proportional to accu capacity. I always
watch the market for new accus with more capacity and as soon as there has
been some development I simply buy four new cells and use them in my Newton.
This happened about four times in the past two years and the capacity steps
where like this:

1100 mAh (initial value of the Newton MP2kx NiMH accu pack)
1500, 1700, 1800, 2100 and last week 2400 mAh!!!

With a modified battery tray as described here:
http://newted.dyndns.org/users/mmailand/www/Npages/Naccu/Naccu.html[2]
it[2] is a charm to change the cells. My latest modification is now improved
by using a PCB and a small DIP switch to disable the thermistor and use
alkalines too in the same tray. I can modify battery trays but you'll need
tosend them to me first.

Capacity wise spoken the latest cells should last at least twice as long as
the original accu pack - and they do! I don't use WiFi at this moment in my
Newton but the math is simple: times two :-) I remember that I got about 20h
out of the original accu pack. That was e.g. a three day travel w/o charger.
Now it is about a week w/o a/c juice.

Marco

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse!