[NTLK] Nick's SoftCharge (was Re: Battery-Warning: How to set level)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 00:46:18 PDT

>>I use Nicks Softcharge. once installed you access from preferences.
>>Get it at <<http://newton.tek-ed.com/>http://newton.tek-ed.com/> or
probably on UNNA

>Soft Charge won't allow the setting when the Newt tells you the battery is
>low (at least the version I use). Soft Charge is handy though to allow you
>change what kind of battery you are using (Nickel Cadium, Alakine, etc) so
>the meter is calibrated properly. Both packages are very usefull and I have
>them both on my Newt. I only wish Softcharge worked on a MP1x0 as well.

Thanks Woody & Dan for the pointer!

I've checked the readme, and Softcharge is pretty cool - if you don't use
NiMH in the original battery pack exclusively (I've only got this one pack,
so this app ain't for me right now). It is for NOS 2.0, but MP2x00 *only*
and tells the Newton what batteries you are using (NiCd, NiMh, LiIon,
alkaline).

Note that this does *NOT* teach the Newton how to charge any of these cell
types, it's just fixing the capacity reading for non-NiMH. That's very
useful of you don't have the original or rebuilt NiMH-pack and use cells
that you charge outside of your Newton or have to buy alkalines on the
road. Thanks, Nick!

DJV.

P.S.: I often wonder what Newton oldtimers like Nick Mueller or the SBM
would say if they saw the Newton scene and all the cool developments going
on today. ;=}