Re: [NTLK] [OT] G3 won't install

From: John A (macnut1_at_gawab.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 15:35:13 PDT

On May 18, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Doug Augustyn wrote:

> I have a beige G3 that I would like to have running OS 10.3. Is this
> possible?
> When I boot it from the CD, it loads off of the CD, then after a few
> minutes
> displays a screen reading:
> You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power
> button for several seconds or press the Restart button.
>
> I do as I am instructed, and It reboots, yet it gives the same screen
> if I
> leave the CD in. Yet, if I take the CD out, it gives this message
> before I
> even get to the Apple silhouette loading screen:
> can't OPEN:
> and it just repeats about 30 times, then proceeds to load OS 9.2 which
> is the
> current OS.
>
> Any Ideas? I've been out of the "old" Mac scene for a while now, the
> new G5's
> that my school bought sure are cool...
> --

Sorry to say, but Panther is not supported on Beige G3's. According to
Apple, Panther is only supported on machines with built in USB, so the
only version of X that will (officially) run on the Beige G3 is Jaguar.
That being said, visit OWC's web site (otherworldcomputing.com), and
read up there on OS X on unsupported machines using XPostFacto. Ryan is
working on a version of XPF that will allow Panther to run on the Beige
G3, but last I heard there was still problems with the video. May have
been fixed by now tho....