Re: [NTLK] Newton Modem (cigarette pack-sized one)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 11:27:54 PDT

On May 18, 2004, at 6:29 AM, Nick M. wrote:

> I just got a Newton Modem off an auction (for 5$ :^) And I was looking
> for a manual of some sort. I checked the Newton FAQ but couldn't find
> anything.

I've got a manual if you are desperate to figure this little guy out.
;-)

> Does it require an AC adapter to run? I tried with 2 AA batteries and
> it wouldn't work... low batteries maybe?

I've never succeeded in getting the modem to work from batteries...
Sure, it tries, but I could never get it to actually get a solid
connection with the modem, except with extremely fresh batteries.
Sometimes a fax would work, but not always. I always had to plug it in
using my Newton power supply. Newt on batteries, and modem on mains.
:-)

> Also, what are the specs on this bad boy? Can someone enlighten me?
> 14.4 perhaps? :^)

You've been warned 2400 for modem, and 9600 for fax!!! Remember, this
modem dates from the ancient days of AOL, Compuserve, eWorld and
NewtonMail. Back then, if I recall correctly, 9600 was state of the
art. :-) I used my ciggie modem for years, checking my AOL mail while
traveling the country. It worked flawlessly. Back then, I used to get
maybe a dozen emails a day, max, but it did it for both my email and my
wife's. I now have two of them, and don't think I'll get rid of them.
:-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland