Re: [NTLK] http://www.newtenlightment.de/

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 07:01:03 PDT

Sure, look at the documentation at for:

Mac OS X Server Open Directory Administration, Print Services
Administration, User Administration, Getting Started, Windows Services
Administration, File Services Administration for Mac OS X Server v.10.3
or later.

If you aren't a Mac OS X Server admin don't worry its available at
http://www.apple.com/server/documentation/

I have the printed copies sitting on my desk but that doesn't help much
for proof, neither does the fact that I have AppleTalk turned off in
Directory Services and I am still able to connect to my Newton using
the described methods as no one can see either of those things.
However, I can explain what Directories Services are and how they work,
perhaps that will help.

A directory service is a manner of providing network services from a
server. One may configure an Open Directory Master (akin to MS's
Windows Primary Domain Controller). If your clients are configured to
use an Open Directory Master then they look to that server for certain
services such as providing printers, authentication, etc ... You have
to stipulate what protocols you want to provide those services over, on
your clients you also dictate what protocols you want them to look for
an ODM. So do you want to look for an ODM over SMB? Over AppleTalk?
Over something else?

You set that in Directory Services. The application pertains to its
name.

David