Re: [NTLK] OT on the list and in the digest

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 08:49:58 PDT

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 11:06, Sushi wrote:
> >On 5/17/04 @ 10:32 PM, josh musket wrote:
> >
> >I like it. Then we can limit it to topics like poutine.
>
> If Religion and Politics must go, then so to must the Poutine discussion!
>
> You know, if everyone just treated each other with respect and engaged in
> two way discussion, regardless of their opinion, we would have a huge
> step in the right direction.
>
> Two way discussion, is value added and fun.

Indeed. There you have it.
The issue isn't religion, politics or poutine.
I've seen forums where OT religion and politics have done well because,
as you say, it was discussed with respect rather than dogma and as a
dialogue not a didactic.

Contrariwise, I've seen technical forums where a perfectly on-topic
technical discussion has become dogmatic and unreasonable, degenerating
into personal abuse.

At the heart of the rancour is always this: someone says that his (or
her) way is the right way, the only way and anyone who doesn't agree is
wrong, stupid, damned, illiterate .... whatever. I've also noticed that
such people are humourless and cannot tolerate anyone joking about them
or their beloved subject.

But then again, I'm one of the people who think that poutine is one of
the most horrible substances in the world, in the same category as PCB,
and it should be banned by international law.

But I'm quite happy if you guys want to discuss it here ;-)

(Note for the humour impaired: the above two paragraphs are a J O K E.)

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>