Re: [NTLK] ON Topic RE OT

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 19:08:24 PDT

>On 5/16/04 @ 4:04 AM, Eric Engle wrote:
>
>Sure, but I think most people are honest. I think that
>would be a self enforcing rule.

He He. I have some land to sell you...oh never mind.

Eric, I admire you idealist approach. But I doubt during the heat of
battle (or maybe I should say the heat of exchange) folks are going to
keep track of what they posted vice created a Newton book.

Now granted, someone may post 10 times, and create one book and that
would be a positive thing I would think. But I strongly doubt that for
10 posts you would see 10 Newton books.

>How do you know? I've often thought of doing some philosophy
>newtonbooks but haven't bothered for lack of time. Just go
>to project gutenberg for hundreds of books which could be
>converted to newton format.

How do I know? Well, I've seen situations like this where that is what
happened. Call it experience. I would love to be proved wrong, however.

Reference lack of time. This would keep most folks from supporting your
idea in the first place. It is much easier to post a message than to
create a Newton book.

>Sure, but some people have list mode so they get stuck reading
>other persons cerebral flatulence. and OT posts are just so
>much more spam. I have seriously thought of unsubscribing due
>to OT posts.

I would definitely hate to see folks unsubscribe. That is not good.

I am just a very strong advocate of free speech -- even if the topic
boils my blood to the bone.

Not to pick on the Poutine guys, but I've enjoyed the recent thread
topics a whole lot more. Again, sorry to those who post about Poutine
but that topic boils my blood. Many on the list enjoy discussing it and
that is fine. As long as the messages are marked with OT, then I have
nothing to complain about.

Poutine away! :-)

Why am I such an advocate of free speech? Well, simply put, I've simply
had way too many close friends killed preparing for or in the heat of
battle to let their memories and what they died for be for not. BTW, I
have quite a few in the sandbox right now.

>Yes. No one has time.

If you are an individual message subscriber, I don't buy it. I just went
through about 100 posts. Looked at the topic and selected those I was
not interested in, then pressed Delete. Some where marked OT some were
not. It took very little of my time. Less than a minute for sure, but
really just seconds.

If you are in digest mode, then I understand.

As I stated in another message in response to David Ensteness, who made
the same good valid point, maybe Victor can create two digest modes.

One that includes messages marked with OT and that does not include
messages marked with OT.

Then the list members who desire to subscribe to the digest mode can
select the digest mode that meets their needs best.

Sushi