Re: [NTLK] NewtVNC

From: Thomas Isenbarger (isen_at_molbio.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 06:03:55 PDT

On 13 May 2004, at 17:32, Jeffrey McMurtrie wrote:

>> also, does anyone have experience with newtVNC?
>
> Yup, I use NewtVNC on my 2000u and OSXVNC on my Powerbook. I think you
> need to set a password (as in you can't leave the field blank.) To
> connect from outside your network to a computer you will need to set
> port forwarding (I forget the exact number, it may be 5900,) to the
> appropriate 192.168.1.yyy IP. On my newt I have display selected and
> set to 5900. Hope that helps.
>
> -Jeffrey

thanks. i will keep trying.

when you say you have display selected, do you mean in the "connect"
box that appears upon NewtVNC launch (the line that says "Display" and
has a "0" (zero) next to it)? what exactly does this number do? i
assumed it was to choose which display to show on the newton screen.
what does having "display" selected versus "port" do as far as how the
newtvnc behaves?

i have never had to do any port forwarding for something before. can
you explain it a little more?

thanks,
Tom