[NTLK] Feasibility of getting away from NTK

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 09:33:56 PDT

Hey, all.

I'm just curious more than anything. How hard would it be to get away
from NTK as a full-fledged development environment and into something
more modern[1], like, say Xcode.

For instance, I was envisioning something along the lines of:

   1) a generic Xcode template for a Newton project

   2) use of the Newton header files

   3) use of whatever libraries need to be linked in

   4) use of a StrongARM-capable compiler

   5) develop an Interface Builder palette of Newton-widgets and run a
transform on the resulting text-nib (xib, I guess is what they're
called) XML file to NSOF forms.

Is this feasible *at all*? If so, I'd love to participate to some
degree.

Similar things have been done for Palm development using Xcode[2]:

   <http://www.zenonez.com/prctoolsx/index.html>

Zac

[1] "Modern" only in the chronological sense; I'm not looking for a
feature-for-feature flamewar

[2] "Similar" only in the most abstract sense; I'm not looking for a
feature-for-feature flamewar ;^)