[NTLK] Development (was Re: new newton owner)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 08:36:02 PDT

>I am sure i will fill the list with many answers the following weeks.

Very good - more nosey Newton newbies like myself! One hint: Whenever
you've researched a topic that you haven't found readily available info
about before, dump your new-found knowledge at the WikiWikiNewt
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/>http://tools.unna.org/>wikiwikinewt
. This way, it's always easily available to you for reference and will also
help others.

>But for now i have this one very important question. As i am quite
>competent in programming, i intend to make some things for the newton.

Hooray!

>Unfortunately for some of you maybe, most of the things i want to do
>are maths-related, since this is my subject.

Yes, the Wiki needs a page or more on scientific apps desperately (hint to
Thomas and Berthe, too! ;=} ).

>I want to ask where i can found good resources about development in
>Newton.

I'd start to look maybe into the FAQ
<
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/>http://www.chuma.org/newton/>faq
, and then I've recently dumped some stuff at the Wiki
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/DevelopmentRessources, feel
free to add any ressource that's been useful to you (hint to all Newton
developers! ;=} ). The Wiki also has wish lists
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtonWishLists and Newton's
Bulb http://dev.newtontalk.net/~martinw/Ideas%20pages also lists project
ideas -- maybe you find something you'd like to tackle?
   There's some more stuff around in various Newton link collections (e.g.
http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/NEWTtools/Reference.html ), or at Paul
Guyots website, etc. -- use your favorite search engine. Many links are
dead, but it's always good to run them through the Wayback Machine at
http://www.archive.org and see what's in store.

SDKs are of course readily available for free at http://www.unna.org .

This is one thing I *love* about the Newton: It has a eleven year long
history of apps being written for it, and even though the OS is unchanged
since six (seven?) years (besides small patches and extensions), there's
still new developers coming aboard and adding new stuff to the long list of
available programms. Really amazing.

Welcome Kostas, and have a good time!

DJV.

P.S.: AFAIK, one thing the Newton is lacking is Euro-compatible fonts. Is
anybody working on this?