[NTLK] [ANN] Dock TCP/IP 1.2 & NIE Patch v4

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 22:45:22 PDT

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce NIE Patch v4 and Dock TCP/IP 1.2.
You can now resolve .local domain names from any Newton application
(like Courier, Newtscape, etc.).

What is Dock TCP/IP?
--------------------

Dock TCP/IP is the Desktop Connection Library dock module to connect
to DCL programs via TCP/IP. It also includes a multicast DNS
implementation (Rendezvous) that allows one to browse for DCL-based
servers on the local network.

Dock TCP/IP requires NIE 2.0 (for UDP multicast packets) and hence
NewtonOS 2.1.

What is NIE Patch?
------------------

NIE Patch is a Newton package that fixes bugs and enhances NIE. So
far, it only fixes a bug related to DNS cache and it resolves .local
domain names if Dock TCP/IP 1.2 is present.

NIE Patch was only tested with NIE 2.0.

Where can I download these new packages?

Dock TCP/IP is available from the DCL home page:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/

NIE Patch is available from my patch page:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/

Both are available with full source code.

You can get Dock TCP/IP source code from CVS or nighly binaries CVS
snapshots. For example here:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/nightlies/?m=droopy&n=20040502160037

(NTK source files are BinHex encoded)

The public API definition is also available in NIE Patch source code
disk image.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any problem with these new
packages or whatever.

Regards,

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/