Re: [NTLK] Rewriting NewtSync's iCal handling?

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 22:04:24 PDT

I haven't started working on the Dates sync, although it's next on my
list. Been rather busy with Apple stuff; that happens from time to time
unfortunately.

Next on my plate for NewtSync is a new plug-in model, and the Dates
sync will become more AppleScript-oriented, not less. The idea is to
have a plug-in that's built almost entirely in AppleScript and that,
*hopefully*, this will make it easier for a wider group of people to
fix bugs. More people can "get" AppleScript than C.

If you have other ideas and are willing to contribute, especially to
build in some very necessary repairs to the Dates plug-in, I'm happy to
listen to them.

On the positive side I've completely rebuilt the Newton client and the
connections themselves are far more reliable, but I think I may have
broken Dates sync at the moment, since it relies on some custom stuff
in the Newton client that I haven't moved over yet.

The trickiest issue to tackle, the one that hangs a big question mark
over my head, are repeating dates. One gets at repeating data in weird
ways on the Newton, by shifting bits and lots of other strangeness. And
of course they don't document how you can write things back without
using their rather odd Dates methods. The Newton and iCal also each
offer lots of choices in their repeating data that the other platform
doesn't support.

All of these... issues that, had I known of their complexities, may
have stopped me from attempting to ship NewtSync in the first place. I
had started with Names sync which, by nature, is far more
straightforward. Combine that with Apple's desire to ship a major OS
release on a yearly basis and you have a recipe for vaporware,
unfortunately.

Not what anybody wants to hear I'm sure, but I'm on this weird honesty
kick lately :-)

That being said, I'm happy to work with others and establish a team to
build some of these plug-ins, and just concentrate on making the core
application great. Some of the changes I've made already but haven't
posted (well, they're in the public source code but not available for
download as a binary) have already gone pretty far towards this.

Thoughts?

j.