Re: [NTLK] Welcome, Dr. Tom!

From: Thomas Isenbarger (isen_at_molbio.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 07:06:06 PDT

On 07 May 2004, at 09:53, MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:

> Dr. Isenbarger:
>
> Welcome to the world-wide Newton community. This is the best place to
> come
> to get your answers questioned and vice-versa. Seriously, there are
> some great
> technical professionals here that willingly help out anyone in need.
>
> As far as required equipment, you'll need the standard Newton
> Connection
> Utility program, to exchange information between your PC/Mac and your
> Newton. You
> will need the serial cable to connect the devices to each other. I
> also
> recommend getting a fax/modem PCMCIA card (I have extras, if you have
> trouble
> finding one elsewhere). I've used the faxing capability of my MP 2100
> many times,
> to assist in various nonprofit initiatives; a very useful
> communication tool.
>
> I recall that there were a few Newton programs that were originally
> developed
> to aid hospital staff; things like keeping track of patient
> information,
> prescription medicines, and so forth. I will check my own files, to
> see which
> programs I might have available.
>
> Again, welcome!
>
> Matt K.

Thanks for the welcome, Matt.

I have just ordered a serial cable (and a USB to serial dongle for my
laptops). The Newton is shipping with a modem, so I will have that. I
have been downloading things furiously from UNNA and I have a copy of
NCU. Alghough I run OS X and really hate to use Classic programs, so I
think I will be using some of the home grown applications that run on
OS X to connect to my Newton.

Also, I am a research type doctor (Ph.D.), not a physician (M.D.), so
don't waste your time looking for hospital/patient type software. But,
anything that would be useful for laboratory research in environmental
and evolutionary microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry,
genetics, genomics, etc., would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Tom Isenbarger