Re: [NTLK] newton and mac classic

From: Richard Plume (rplume_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 04:37:57 PDT

on 5/6/2004 2:13 PM, Richard Clark at mawgadog_at_tin.it wrote:

> Does anyone know if i can use a MP130 with a mac classic will NCU work
> on it?
> what are the disadvantages and if any the advantages of using it on a
> classic.
> Thanks
> Richard

    According to the box my 2100 came in, NCU requires a Mac with a 68030
processor, System 7.1 or later and at least 8MB or RAM with 4MB available
(12MB recommended with a PowerPC processor). The processor requirement also
holds true for NBU, which originally shipped with OS 2.0 Newtons (5MB or RAM
was required for NBU).

    That leaves out the original Mac Classic (which only has a 68000
processor and a maximum of 4MB of RAM. However, it would work on other
classic Macs such as the SE/30 or Classic II.

    The advantgage with running NCU on classic Macs is that they are small
so don't take up too much space. In particular, the SE/30 can be fitted with
up to 128MB of RAM and can even use an ethernet card (useful if you move up
to a 2100.

    Hope this helps.

Rick