[NTLK] My first long waited Newton!

From: Tommaso (tommaso.scigliuzzo_at_tin.it)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 04:12:01 PDT

Hello Newton World!
I'm a new happy Newton 2100(2000 UpGrd) owner here in Italy (are any
italian here?)
I was waiting this purchase starting from 10 years ago (since it was
started to talk about PDA technology from Apple)
I bought my Newt on eBay for 100 US $ and this is the set:
#1 Newt 2000 (Up to 2100)
#1 Newt Keyboard
#1 Serial dongle
#2 Dummy card
#1 Battery holder for 4xAA
#2 Newton original battery pack (dead, to be regenerated)
#1 Netwon original US power adapter (I have an international powerplug
travel kit :-)
#1 8Mb Pretec Flash memory card
#1 Farallon Ethernet PC Card (3Com chipset)
#1 Megahertz Cruiser Card 28,8 Modem w/XJack
#1 Newton logo carring case for all the items above.

It's a dream come true!

I bought 4xAA 2200mAh 1.2v rechargable Ni-MH batteries and eveything
seems ok. No scratch on the LCD and backlight is really fine.
I tested the Ethernet card and it is OK into my Lan (PMac 7300 Sonnet
G4 turbocharged with OS 10.3, iBook G4, ADSL, ethernet HUB and so on.
Yes; I'm a Macuser! :-)
I used OS X Classic mode for NCU backup and PKG installation of some
games. Pretec memory card is OK and Keyboard too. Only modem card need
to be tested but I'm sure it will be OK too.
The seller of this Newt has installed some Apps, more are demos timeout
(AppMan, ButtonBarPlus; More folder 4.0, Styles+, SpellMan)

Now my plan for future:

1- read Apple PDF docs/man about Newton technology
2- read Newtontak FAQ carefully
3- join Newton listas/forums/newsgroups and visit Newton related
websites (producing a lot of spamming with help messages like this :-).
4- remove or buy licenses for the installed apps (if they could be
usefull for me)
5- use my Newton :-)
4- buy a Lucent/orinoco WiFi 11b card (I have an AirPort Extreme base
station)
5- Expand memory by PCMCIA (I need YOUR HELP :-)

Here in Italy is very simple to find cheap memory such as SD, MMC,
Memory stick, CF and CF II; ATAs like my Pretec are impossible to
find. It could be useful if someome could help me to choice a good
solution about this memory issue. I think to get a PCMCIA memory
adapter 4x1 and use 128-256Mb SD or MMC or get a PCMCIA CF/CF II
adapter with 128-256mb CF/CFII or IBM Microdrive. Does anyone tried
these solutions on his Newton 2000/2100?

Thanks to exist Greens and Prouds
Tommaso