Re: [NTLK] [OT] AVIBD MATRIX - Adult Newton Software

From: Brad Griffin (b.griffin_at_cqu.edu.au)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 19:41:31 PDT

 HI Mike and all

I understand. The thread may have helped these younger people form
opinions of their own as well, which can only ever be a good thing.

> Society today screams, "HAVE AT IT! IF IT FEELS GOOD DO IT!
> NO REGRETS! NO CONSEQUENCES!" That is exactly why teen
> pregnancy is out of control, AIDS and other sexually
> transmitted diseases not to mention sexual crimes.

I'd have to disagree with you here Mike. Pregnancy and sex crimes have
been going on at a similar rate for years upon years. The only
difference is that nowadays people are less likely to hide the issues
behind their household doors. I'd suggest that thirty to forty (more?)
years of people screaming to get sexuality and sexual issues out of the
closet and into the faces of people has assisted this process. HIV has
only been a disease of humans since the thirties. However, HIV did not
originate as a sexual disease/condition. It was first noticed in blood
transfusion recipients around the time of civil war in West Africa in
the thirties/forties. The reason HIV spread so well was the typical
'cone of silence' about sexuality that pervaded society for years, up
until the sixties/seventies sexual revolution. STDs have been around
since Nero burnt Rome and have (as far as my history knowledge can tell)
consistently increased relative to the human population.

> If the majority of this list doesn't agree, yes, I'll leave.
> If every forum of which I'm a part suddenly pushes issues
> like this to the front with no other also standing to cry
> "FOUL!" then, yes, I'll leave those groups also.

I have no objections to your opinion or your values Mike. 'Goodonyer'
for stating your values and concerns.

Best regards, and with respect,

Brad