Re: [NTLK] Stereo or Mono - Will somebody answer him, already?

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 06:54:40 PDT

Sorry, I thought this was obvious and known:

our Newt provides MONO output only.

I am not 100% sure whether the NIC port audio out has its own output driver
or is connected to the same output driver.
As already discussed: using the same output driver the speaker and headphone
would hav eto share the power and that would result in a low audio volume in
the headphone.
Thus the version using a jack with bypass and insert it into the speaker
line is the most practical and therefore recommended solution.

If you really want stereo output, you would have top think about a PCMCIA
sound card and then re-writing the software for the MP-3 decoding. Next
point is that the stereo MP3s will definitely consume more memory space and
if you succeed implementing an audio card you most probably want a higher
quality/sampling rate which increases teh file size as well...

Cheers
Johannes