Re: [NTLK] Adding a headphone jack to the Newton

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 00:09:10 PDT

The answer is very easy:
first off you will probably use a stereo headphone.
I am not 100% sure whether the mono jack will contact both channels of a
stereo plug. But normally it should. But in this case you do not have the
possibility to switch off the internal speaker automatically when the
headphone is plugged.
So the best choice would be to use a stereo jack and connect the two
channels.
A stereo jack without switching capability (to switch off the internal
speaker when the headphone is plugged in)has usually 3 terminals and WITH
switching capability it has 5 terminals. In this case you route the speaker
cable to the jack first and from there to the speaker. Thus the internal
speaker will switch off in case the headphone is plugged.

Cheers
Johannes