Re: [NTLK] [OT] Kilometers

From: Nicolas Krizan (nico_at_mbox309.swipnet.se)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 14:24:07 PDT

Hello

Sweden is often considered an ardent follower of international standards
such as the metric system. Nevertheless, inches is still quite widely
used in »old« areas such as bicycle sizes and construction material
dimensions as well as »new« topics like screen sizes.

I can see the beauty and humanism of using a measurement system deriving
from our own bodies but the clear sharp logic of the metric system is
quite nice too.

kind regards/nicolas

PS. In swedish, the word for inch literally means »thumb«. What is the
etymology of the word »inch«?