[NTLK] [OT] Off Topic Discussions

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 09:28:13 PDT

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to make some comments reference OT discussions/conversations.

First. If a message is correctly marked with [OT] then no worries.
Individuals can filter the messages easily, and quickly decide if they
want to read them or not. And thanks to Victor's wonderful threading, in
a couple of seconds one can sort and delete an entire thread of hundreds
of messages without reading them. Sweet.

Second. I personally enjoy most OT discussions and find them
interesting. Yeah, Poutine threads get a bit old. But hey, there is
always the DELETE key!

Third. OT discussions can lead to interesting developments. Take the
SETI thread. The Newtons4Ever team had 18 members a few days ago. Now
it is up to 26. Cool. Nice use of OT IMHO. This is but one of many
threads that lead to something nice in Newtonland.

Fourth. OT discussions add flavor to the community. We are a diverse
groups that spans the world. Awesome. OT discussions add flavor to the
board and give a bit of insight to the character of the individuals who
are part of this community. For example, I have never met Robert
Benschop, but feel that I know a little bit about him via his posts in
both the regular and OT variety. So someday if I have the pleasure of
meeting him, I will already know a little bit about him. Nice.

Fifth. I have been on numerous boards before. But this one, in
particular is...well, different and has a flavor of its own. Folks have
fun, tease each other a bit, look out for each other concerning vendors
and product fixes. Yet, when someone has a problem, many try to come to
the rescue. Quickly I might add.

Sixth. It is darn fun watching the creative talents of those keeping our
Newts going and those adding new features (both hardware and software).
Most doing this for very little profit and at a great expense of time and
effort. There are too many to list, but kudos to those who do.

Seventh. Most OT discussions that have little merit or value to most in
the community just simply fade away. Not so with other boards.
Generally, moderators always have to get involved and folks getting
banned. Here, while we have an occasional cat fight, our discussions are
civil and respectfull of one another. I mean, how many times has Victor
had to get involved. Not many that I can recall.

Thanks for listening.

Sushi