[NTLK] Compact Flash (or other ATA card choices) speed

From: George Bingham (georgeb1962_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 06:50:44 PDT

Hi all,

     I currently use Paul's ATA support driver (1.0RC6.1) with a
SanDisk 128Mb CF card (with a SanDisk adapter) in my Newton (a
upgraded 2000).

     It works well enough, but I am wondering about speed. Has anyone
used the SanDisk Ultra II CF cards? Have you had a chance to compare
them in the Newton with the original SanDisk CF cards?

      In my experience, reading from the card is slower than pcmcia
memory cards, but still adequate for viewing the the few quicktime
movies and using the storage cards for MP3s. (I've dramatically upped
the caches on the ATA cards to help this). But writing the cards is
particularly slow, and makes it difficult to install packages directly
to the card or have it used as one's default store. I was wondering if
these new faster cards made for the difference?

     From advertising copy: "The SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash cards
have a minimum sustained write speed of 9 megabytes (MB} per second
and a read speed of 10 MB per second. " Do you think the Newton plus
ATA driver would be able to take advantage of this added speed in the
hardware? Or is the slowness due to the added software layer in the
driver?

     Thanks in advance for any thoughts or knowledge from experience
you all might be able to offer...

George Bingham