Re: [NTLK] OT Kilometers

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 07:13:58 PDT

on 4/29/04 11:01 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl wrote:

> Go to Extras -> Prefs -> Locale and switch to Canada.
> (or wait until the US finally switches to metric, but that might take a
> while ;-)

I certainly wouldn't expect it any time soon... While I like and use metric
for some things, and use a dual tape measure for measuring building. I would
not want to give up my feet and inches... The mixed measuring system that it
represents comes out of real life, using "real" things as their basis
(thumb, foot, etc.) and are hence, rather automatic, in a sense. Metric
comes from a lab and is too abstract for practical life. Plus, its whole
method forces one to either measure in mm, or cm or m or (strangely enough,
straight to km--when was the last time you ever heard somebody say that
something was 3 dkm long?) I like the mixed measurement system which is only
as precise as you need it to be, dividing down by halves.. Very intuitive
once you get the hang of it.

Sorry, just had to unload on that...

--
-Jon Glass