Re: [NTLK] Am I the Only One? Long-ish.

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 04:10:24 PDT

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:56:36 -0400, David Deranian wrote:
> Since there are no Newton browsers that support https,
> there's no way to log on to one of the biggest most accessible wireless
> networks available.

True and unfortunately not easy to solve in a general manner. SSL is
not too difficult, but it would require some serious reverse
engineering to get it into NIE. The problem with reverse engineering
NIE is that in contrast to the code already in ROM, NIE does not come
with debug information, and that makes it very challenging to
understand it.

> I have great hope that Blunt will become workable
> and that alone will make the Newton immediately "catch-up" to the
> current crop of Bluetooth enabled PDAs out there.

I hope so too ;) There is definitely a problem with getting the right
hardware combination to get Bluetooth running. For people in the US,
the AmbiCom Air2Net BT2000-CF card is probably a good choice, for
people in Europe, I'm hoping that Daniel Padilla can get reprogramming
of the Conceptronic cards working. Now for the phone side, Nokia's
Symbian models are always a safe bet (the N-Gage QD could actually make
the most sense, it's cheap and lets you run games), and hopefully,
Blunt 0.6 enables the SonyEricsson phones as well.

> I'm asking the list, if there's anyone else out here that shares my
> pain, or if I'm just a lone weirdo.

I share the pain - that's why I implemented Nitro, Blunt, Neo and IC/VC
;).

Eckhart