Re: [NTLK] Newton programs wish list (WAS:Newton MPEG Support/How about PDF?)

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 21:11:22 PST

Here would be my personal wish list:

1) SSH client - I've seen in batted around on the list a few times, but
I don't think I've ever seen anyone really get deeply interested in
coding it.

2) Flowchart program - I would consider such a very useful utility to
have, pen input and some of the drawing manipulation routines for
shapes could be leveraged for an elegant interface IMO.

3) Revision to PT100 - increase the speed on this thing if AT ALL
possible - I'm not certain if the developer for PT100 is active these
days, if he/she is: You've made a great program, all it needs really is
an improvement in speed - taking 2+ seconds for my text to echo back
over an un-congested network and wifi connection is ridiculous.

4) Just for neato effect - something along the lines of the sound
visualizers 'G-Force' or the built in visualizer to itunes - I know it
wouldn't look incredible on a greyscale lcd with relatively slow screen
refresh rate, but it shouldn't be THAT hard for a 162 mhz (notice I'm
only really thinking of the 2x00 line here?) processor to handle a
sizable portion of the screen? Of course I would assume visualization
of line in or mic input, asking the newton to play back and visualize a
mod or mp3 at the same time would be asking too much.

5) A GOOD DATES REPLACEMENT - I'm betting many of us have tried action
names, more info, and dateman - probably finding parts of each that
they really liked - but how much longer will we be able to get licenses
for these? And what of licenses that are horrendously expensive even
today? I like date-man alot, but I won't pay 55$ american for it. We
really should get together, sort out what parts of these PIM programs
worked, and code something that leverages all the strengths, and and
none of the downsides of each. Hopefully free / donation ware - but if
we ended up charging for it, the likelihood of whomever was handling
registrations for this new program would be, in my opinion, much higher
than that of the old programs 4, 5 or even 6 years down the road.

On Mar 29, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Richard Plume wrote:

> In earlier messages Eagan Rackley <eagix_at_earthlink.net> wrote about
> possibly
> programming an MPEG player for the Newton and Gavin McKenzie
> <ntlk_at_gavinmckenzie.fastmail.fm> turned it around to ask about
> programming
> for PDF support.
>
> I'd like to turn that around once more and open a discussion on
> programs
> that are really needed on the Newton platform.
>
> There are some very talented programmers here, but their time, as well
> as
> their numbers, are limited. Opening a new discussion on what users
> really
> need to make the Newton platform work for them might be of interest to
> developers.
>
> And I'll start the ball rolling...
>
> For all intents and purposes, I left the Newton platform a year ago. I
> still
> read Newtontalk every day and my Newtons are always charged. They even
> get
> the occasional workout. However, my day to day small computer is a
> MobilePro
> 700 running Windows CE 2.0. Why? The Newton can no longer meet my
> needs.
> What would get me back to using my Newtons full time? A couple of
> things:
>
> <<list removed for length>>
>

> Rick
>
> --