[NTLK] Any recent Stowaway Driver activity?

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 08:31:36 PST

Hello List,

as you might remember I am an avid fan of the Newtway/Stowaway Keyboard project (from a user perspective ;) ), and while preparing the upcoming semester today I wondered whether I missed anything regarding it.
I had some contact with Daniel Padilla in mid-january regarding a possible update to support keyboards with German layout.

What I noticed again today is that the current driver (I have alfa 2 here, the latest AFAIK) throws a handsome number of errors & exceptions and sometimes even causes my Newt to crash & reboot. Sometimes, pressing "the wrong key" can cause a disconnect of the keyboard. After some fooling around & at least one reboot later I can usually establish a stable operative mode. When actually working, the driver shows its true beauty, I never knew one could type this fast on a Newton.
As I see it there has been an awsome amount of energy & devotion been put into the project up until now by several people, but not recently from what the archive tells me. I wonder whether others here encounter the same problems, and how many would love to have localized layouts supported.

So, input please! *g*

And Daniel, if you are reading this, please let us know if you have ressources to put some time into the project, or if we can do something to increase motivation. I know this is just a very small project, but to me it is a very useful one. I would gladly put down a few bucks for a more stable, localized driver.

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive