Re: [NTLK] How does it work? (was Re: Newton Print Pack)

From: Mike Burrell (mburrell_at_stny.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 07:33:57 PST

on 3/26/04 12:09 AM, Peter Cameron at pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

> Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something here? How does actually a PrintPack cable work?
> It's a combination of hardware and software. The cable has a
> mini-din at one end and a large parallel plug at the other end. Inside
> the parallel end are some electronics that "know" how to translate Newton
> output to a variety of printers. When you plug in the cable it installs
> drivers for a host of printers on the Newton.
>
> Peter

So judging by this response, just any ol' serial to parallel cable wouldn't
be the same thing. Maybe in connectivity but not the 'all knowing'
electronics you mention.
And as far as this goes... "So it should have as RS-422 (or RS-232) on one
side and an EPP output on ther other end" Can we inject some english into
this please? In other words pin count! I believe I speak for all the
'non-technobabelly challeged', like myself, when I say THANK YOU!