[NTLK] [OT] Stepheson's writing, and cyberpunk in general. Was: Etymology of Mathematics. Can't let that slide.

From: josh musket (jmusket_at_nmu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 08:25:42 PST

>I like Stephenson very much myself, but having just finished
>Qucksilver, I would say that he is very non-British. The
>"American style" of Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, Zodiac and
>Cryptonomicon fitted well. In Quicksilver, he necessarily
>attempts to adopt a much more British style and, though the book
>remains fascinating and enjoyable, this style really doesn't work
>well at all.
>
>0.02
>
>mark.

Stephenson is very action oriented. That's American in style, very
cowboyish. He balances this with a view on personal responsibility. Not
that he touts it. BUt he seems to speak of it's importance, unless
you're the protagonist (or would that be the Hiro?). Actually I'm
getting kind of muddled her. Ah well. Locality-wise most of Stephenson's
work is based in the US, whereas Gibson has a much more international
range. Speaking of the cyberpunk genre, does anyone have any authors to
suggest? (excluding Sterling, whose work is more of
post-cyberpunk/near-posthuman.) Recently I read a book by the name of
clade, which wasn't to bad (can't remember the author's name).

Josh