Re: [NTLK] OT: Mac Question

From: Evan Scott (vertigo_at_email.arizona.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 22:02:51 PST

> I would mainly just check the stats over at apple.com on the iBooks and
> the Powerbooks to get a better idea of which you like better. There
> are some advantages to the Powerbook line. One, you can get a PB with
> a Superdrive (DVD burner). Two, the max memory is double that of the
> iBook line. Three, higher end processors and better L2 cache, which
> equals better performance. Third, higher screen resolutions. Fourth,
> better video cards. And finally, DVI out. To name a few.

As A ubiquitous IT professional, I'm sure you already follow the news
sites closely. But I do recommend that you head over to
www.slashdot.org and www.osxhints.com. For example. I know a great many
of the iBooks have had some serious issues with the display system, and
a Class-Action lawsuit has popped up from it (if memory serves).
Specifically, the displays have been dying really early into the
laptop's life, as a result of a faulty chip on the logic board. Also,
the 12" PowerBooks have had cooling problems. The laptops have not
died, but customers have complained of burns. Dunno if that was
resolved either.

The latter site is just to give you insight on what some geeks are
doing to tweak their systems. Some require UNIX knowledge, so it should
be right down your alley, Mr. UNIX/LiNUX IT man.

Just some thoughts,
Evan Scott