Re: [NTLK] Options for screen protectors

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 09:20:48 PST

* Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> [23 Mar 2004 22:57]:
> Ouch. I would be afraid of scratching my writeright. Actually, I seldom had
> big problems, only the first couple I put on, but you have to be veery
> careful to not rush it. Once on, and especially after a couple days, you
> can't even tell it's there!

Well, I don't rub it down in a way that would scratch it. The wide edge
of a credit card is just about the same size as the screen width, and I
basically hold it at a 45-degree angle and drag it along slowly, so I
have nice even flat pressure the entire width of the screen.

> I could never get more than six months out of my WriteRights, but they would
> be in pretty bad shape by that point! Usually I changed after the third
> month. I can't imagine going a year or more!

Well, I went that long partly because I lost the package of spares :-)
(Found them again this past november, and promptly changed my screen
protector.)

I found that the area over the overview and up/down buttons got worn
down noticeably, but the rest worked fine. And since I don't write over
that corner, the worn spots didn't affect the HWR at all.

> I like a clean-lookng screen---unfortunately, my 2100 has a horribly
> worn screen, and I no longer have that. I like to play with my kids'
> 120s however, just to see a pretty screen. ;-)

I'm very happy that I got a screen protector on within a month or so of
buying my Newton - my screen is still in perfect condition. (The
rubberized coating on the other hand is starting to wear off around the
corners. You can tell it's been used a lot.) But I must say, I can't
stand writing on the screen without a WriteRight - that texture is
critical for me, I find my pen slips around and is harder to control on
the smooth, unprotected screen. Having never used a NuShield, I have no
idea if they're textured and I'd like them... but I still have most of a
package of WriteRights left, so I probably won't need to find out for a
few more years :-)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project