Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 22:29:06 PST

on 3/18/04 12:08 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Instead of making the device simple to use by
> interfacing it in an intuitive manner with the user,
> they make the user simple by reducing the capabilities
> of the device's interface that the user has to use!

Begging your pardon, but for many people, the keyboard _is_ the most
intuitive manner of interacting with a computer! This is probably one reason
for the sudden interest in thumb keyboards... Also, transforming the desktop
system to the handheld is also "familiar" to far too many people. They don't
really want to have to get to know a new way of working with their
computer... In fact, I find this concept rather liberating from another
perspective...

Right now, I have my Newton, my cell phone, I use Now Contact for serious
contact information, yet use Entourage for my day-to-day needs, but use the
Apple Address Book as the center so I can at least try to keep some
semblance of synchronized information between all these appliances! (My
cell, for instnance, only syncs with the Address Book.app, and my Newt, only
with Entourage) If I had one computer that did double duty as a desktop and
as a handheld, I could dispense with all this, because I wouldn't need it
anymore.... At least, that's the dream. ;-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland