Re: [NTLK] [Totally OT, but kinda like the answer,

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 10:35:26 PST

>Bowie had some of the best guitar players and some of the finest guitar
>parts of the post-psychedelic, pre-punk inbetween-era, then went on
>(courtesy of Mr. Brian Eno of Roxy Music) to do more ambient synthie stuff
>and finally ended doing ghastly pop (still much airplayed today).

Ooop, watch associating Eno with that later Roxy Music stuff. Eno (of Fripp
and Eno, The Winkies, Quiet Sun, and 801, as well as Roxy Music for their
first two albums which were both pretty "out there") may have been
responsible for albums like Bowie's Low, Heroes and Lodger but after
getting slagged for being unapproachable, Let's Puke (sorry Dance) was
produced by Queen and disco king Nile Rodgers.

Those days Bowie would get together with Iggy Pop, come up with something
commercial, take his money, do something experimental like Heroes, feel the
pinch, get together with Iggy Pop...

>I'm glad
>that he has recovered in the last decade and now his music moves between
>ambient, jazz and dancefloor.

Back in the '83 time frame Bowie came up to Edmonton to play with a couple
of insignificant bands called The Tubes and Peter Gabriel (who?). The night
before the concert he went out to our local Jazz club called The Yardbird
Suite to hear Jazz sax man Courtney Pine play.

Bowie has been into all sorts of music for a very long time. It is good to
see that he is doing well enough to put himself out there and he's not
having to slut the commercial stuff as much.

Andrei