Re: [NTLK] help??

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 19:43:53 PST

on 10/03/04 22:07, James Nichols at smilr_at_mac.com wrote:

> Okay, I'm in the middle of Finals week - and my Newton, the one that
> has a broken screen from the Doh! thread, is where the majority of my
> notes for class are stored.
>
> I'm doing a take-home test now, due tomorrow - and an answer I need, is
> only available in my notes - on the newton - with the broken screen.
> YES the test is Open-Notes, but that doesn't do me much good when I
> can't open Notepad to navigate them.
>
> I need an emergency way to backup my notes - I have an SER installed,
> and can use it with my keyboard for MINIMAL navigation, I also have
> access to parts of the very rightmost edge of the tough sensor - so I
> can hit the up/down nav buttons, and hit the Dock program's icon in my
> button bar.
>
> I would ideally like to be able to get newtVNC working in server mode -
> I can launch it from DashBoard, and can change ANYTHING but the radio
> check mark of veiwer / server - so close yet so far.
>
> I can use the keyboard to dell Dock to attempt to connect via the last
> setting use (serial) if I hit enter on the keyboard - but the keyboard
> is taking up the serial port to do so - if ONLY I had last set it to my
> wireless card before breaking the thing!
>
> The actual notes are stored on a linear flash pcmcia card - is there
> any sort of driver or program that will let me browse it's contents
> from a Mac os 9 powerbook?
>
> Any way anyone can think of to get this thing to back up my notes
> (nsync is installed, but I can't start it :( ... ) ?
>
> ---

There is a package that you can install on a card that, upon card insertion,
will start the dock to connect to a desktop running NCU. I can't remember
whether there is a default serial connection or if it will use the last
connection you used with Dock.

-Laurent.

cretinous /kret'n-*s/ or /kreet'n-*s/ adj.: Wrong; stupid; non-functional;
very poorly designed. Also used pejoratively of people. See dread high-bit
disease for an example. Approximate synonyms: bletcherous, bagbiting,
losing, brain-damaged.