Re: [NTLK] How about using a microdrive hard disk in the PCMCIA slot?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 16:13:42 PST

On Mar 10, 2004, at 3:41 PM, MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
<snip>
> Could the microdrive be used with a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter in the Newton?
I do believe so. Using Paul Guyot's ATA driver ATA style CF cards
work. I don't know about particular micro drives, check at Pauls
site...
http://www.kallisys.com/

Personally I don't find this interesting. I think that the cheap
availability of solid state cards (you can by a 1G for about $150US)
provides a lower power, more durable solution that is still extreme
overkill for Newton.

> Could the microdrive be partitioned,
Yes You have to. Again check at Pauls site.
> so that it could give the user several
> OS boot-up options?
NO, newton only at that point.
> I think it would be awesome to be able to choose between
> the Linux, Newton OS, Mac OS, or maybe even the Windows CE. Imagine
> having even
> more choices available on the Newton. How cool would that be?
You're high.

> Another question: If the Newton's OS is "burned onto the ROM chip,
> could this
> chip be removed, or switched off, to allow the use of another OS on a
> different part of the Newton's physical memory? Linux?
Stay in school...

> Am I on drugs? If not, should I be?
Seems likely,

:~)

Marty

PS There is a big difference between storage space and other operating
systems...