[NTLK] Kid's stuff Back onboard agin! Thanks!

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 03:25:35 PST

>From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
>Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 19:40:51 EST
>Subject: [NTLK] Back onboard agin! Thanks!
>
>Hi Everyone:
>
>My Newtontalk digests miraculously began reappearing this evening!
>I was panicking a bit, having been deprived of my Newt fix.
>
>I was racing to get my spare MP 2000 set up. I loaded it with some simple
>math drill programs, the few publicly-available children's books in Newton
>format, and a few simple games. Tonight, I presented it to my niece (she
>is 80%
>deaf and also ADHD). So far, she seems very interested in learning how to
>use
>her Newt!
>She already has learned how to enter her friends' names and phone numbers
>into the names program. We also explored the checkers and word search games
>together.
>
>Tina still has to figure out how to train the Newton to recognize her
>handwriting. I am hopeful that the novelty of the Newton, coupled with the
>Text-to-Speech function will encourage her to practice writing more
>often. Hopefully,
>she will learn to use the Newton as her electronic diary.
>
>If anybody can recommend any links for educational kids stuff, please let me
>know. Thank you.

Might be interesting to compile suggestions and put 'em up on the
WikiWikiNewt under it's own chapter... Plus some comments what works for
what age group and what not...

Matt, don't make the Newt a purely educational tool, pack some
entertainment, too. Newtendo comes to mind... SpeedBump I like... Monopoly?
Crosswords... Plus every once in a while new books (e-z to make your own!
Don't forget to put 'em up at UNNA...) to keep her hooked. ;=}
Maybe she would also enjoy twiddling with audio recording and playback, or
text-to-speech stuff, at least for the novelty value. How does her hearing
impearment impact phone conversations? Maybe she'd like to use her li'l
green buddy as fax machine to make some things easier.

DJV.