Re: [NTLK] Will 'USB port for Notebooks' work

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 2004 - 09:30:56 PST

> At 11:56 AM 3/8/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>> Andrei Chichak wrote:
>>
>>> If the card was some sort of dual standard card, it will still not
>>> work as
>>> the Newton does not have a USB host protocol stack built in or
>>> available.
>>>
>> Hmm, then if someone wrote said protocol, then maybe?
>
> Remember "If the card was some sort of dual standard card". If you
> found
> one of those, then it is just work. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff
> come out of this group despite the nay-sayers. Go for it.

I don't disagree with that - but I think USB support may be beyond our
reach.

The problem is that USB is a very processor intensive subsystem - the
majority of control and arbitration of USB is handled by the system
processor, not in a standalone chipset like firewire.

I doubt that any newton but the mp2x00 line could handle it, and even
then performance of other programs than that driving the usb bus would
suffer.

---